Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fall Migration?

Work has been very busy lately and birding time is at  premium.  I went out and birded the back this morning and the best I could get was a Magnolia and Black and White Warbler.  One of each.  Here in Minnesota the migration for warblers has been very slow.  But I was able to find my FOY White Throated Sparrow out back.  This means it is getting cold up north unfortunately.  But I love their song so there is a positive.



I also traveled for work this week and brought my Swarovski ATX95 along for some digiscoping.  This part of Iowa I always thought would be pretty good for birding but I have always struck out.  I think I should have brought my fly rod instead for some trout fishing!  But I was able to get this American Goldfinch in the middle of a molt on some thistle in evening light.



Also in the park out back I was able to get a few shots of a Lance Tipped Darner.  There are only a couple left cruising the soccer pitch....down from a dozen or so earlier this week.  Must be the cold weather.  But it is nice to see them here as I did not have them in the park out back last year at all.  Lance Tipped are best ID's by the shape of the cerci and the thoratic stripes....as well as habitat.


No comments:

Post a Comment